Correspondence. Program-related and organizational issues in the “Solidarity” Citizens’ Committee (Gdańsk) Collection, AKKS 347/81/4
Last month we celebrated the anniversary of the 1989 elections in Poland (4 June).
It is worth noticing that the Solidarity Trade Union authorities decided to entrust the “Solidarity” Citizens’ Committee with the elections campaign leadership. Regional committees were established as well. They were responsible for preparing lists of candidates for members of Parliament and senators. The attached documents prove that the election campaign run by the Citizens’ Committee was very dynamic.
Among the most noteworthy documents in the file titled Correspondence. Program-related and organizational issues in the “Solidarity” Citizens’ Committee (Gdańsk) Collection you can find:
- Election campaign assumptions,
- Manifesto of the „Solidarity” Citizens’ Committee,
- Application form to nominate candidates for members of Parliament,
- Note containing promotional ideas for candidates,
- Appeal of the „Solidarity” Citizens’ Committee,
- Program for the election campaign commencement opening in Gdansk,
- Correspondence of the Regional „Solidarity” Citizens’ Committee in Gdańsk,
- Correspondence of the Voivideship (regional) Electoral Committee in Gdańsk.
Other interesting documents include:
- excerpts from the National Electoral Committee guidelines
- minutes of the Gdańsk Region Interim Board of the Solidarity Trade Union plenary session of May 22, 1989,
- announcement made by the National Executive Committee of the Solidarity Trade Union,
- statement issued by the Solidarity Chairman Press Spokesman,
- questionnaire by the radio-television unit for presenting the candidates,
- announcement by the Primate (of the Roman Catholic Church) Social Committee.
The June 1989 elections are considered the key to the defeat of the communist regime in Poland and the birth of the Third Republic.
Visit us at the in the Archives of the National Commission of the Solidarity Trade Union
If you are interested in the attached documents and in our other archival materials please contact us by email: .
/Łukasz Grochowski, the Archives of the National Commission of the Solidarity Trade Union,
Iwona Flis, Stanisław Flis Foundation “Pomerania Archives”/